Thursday, December 13, 2007

Craziest Traffic Ever!

From Jerald: So this is a picture of Storrow drive today. Actually, it might be a video, because nobody was moving. For some reason that nobody can quite figure out, yesterday was the worst traffic day in Boston in anyone's memory. Everyone left work early and the roads were at a complete standstill. People would just sit in the middle of the intersection blocking cars going the other way, but ahead of them someone else would be blocking the intersection - I'm sure from above it looked like a giant puzzle. At one point, there was a cop car next to me that wanted to turn left, only cars kept blocking the intersection so that literally nobody got through for five successive lights. One of the two cops then got out of the car just to hold up traffic long enough so a few people (including his partner) could turn left. I think at that point the cop got back in the car and left people to their own devices. Way to help. It was enough to let me through though so I shouldn't complain.

So anyway, after spending over 4 hours in the car (and going approximately 8 miles) Lauren suggested I find somewhere to stop and get something to eat. Realizing that I wasn't going to get home before Seth went to sleep anyway (having left work at 2:45!) I decided to pull into a movie theater (covered) parking lot, got food, and went into the next movie. Two and a half hours later, the streets were moving a little better and it only took me another 45 minutes to get home - at which point Lauren came out and helped me dig out a spot to park. All told, including the movie and shoveling, it took just a tad more than 8 hours door to door (for ~11 miles).

Ready to climb into bed...

No comments: