Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Remember THIS Moment

From Lauren:

After Seth's morning nap, we went out for a walk. We walked through Harvard Yard and Seth started saying "Da, Da, Da..." So I said, "Yes this is where Dad went to college." This got me thinking back to my college days at the University of Rochester. I looked at some of the undergrads that passed us in the Yard and I wondered whether they were really appreciating the moments and time they were having in college. Did I appreciate the time I had in college?

We then passed a bulletin board posting about a NFTY reunion. I thought back to high school and the time I spent in this Jewish youth group. Did I appreciate the time I had back then?

My thoughts then went to Seth. He is almost a year old! The time has gone by so fast. When he does something so "grown up" I often say to him "where is my baby, you are such a big boy!" And it is true, he isn't a "baby" anymore.

So often we all get caught up in looking to our next step. In high school you look to college. In college you look to graduate school and beyond. We do the same thing with children. When you are pregnant you look to the birth. When the baby is born you look straight towards the next milestone... rolling over, sitting up, crawling, walking, talking... All of these things are important to look towards but I want to make sure I am enjoying and remembering each individual moment instead of getting caught up in what is coming next.

So, for at least today, I am happy with where we are all today...and I am enjoying and trying to remember this moment.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laur - I still say "where did my baby girl go?".
Well she's in Cambridge, with her amazing husband and her adorable son. AND Still being my favorite daughter. Where ever you are...you are my daughter and yes, I still get caught up in your milestones. Can you see how proud I am of you,,,,THEN and NOW. Don't minimize them ....just chvell (sp).
I love you....forever and 1 day.....

blahdiblogger said...

And the weather! Today was such a beautiful day to be out and about with them.